Book Review


Who would like to join me in reading this book:
A History of Cooks and Cooking, by Michael Symonds?
Available here at Amazon, used cost $10.
Or free at your local library.
It's got a lot of by fancy cooking linguini, I mean lingo and I might need some help understanding it.
Here is an excerpt from the Preface:
In an obscure footnote in his journal for 15 August 1773, the literary biographer James Boswell defines the human as the 'Cooking animal;. It is not tool-making that separates us from the rest of nature, he writes. It is not memory, judgment and all the faculties and passions of our minds that make us unique. But 'no beast is a cook'. This book honours Boswell's untuition. It sets out to explain ourselves and our world through cooks. It finds civilisation to be a culinary creation.
I'm not sure I agree with the 'no beast' comment. I've seen AJ's dad cook quite a few times........

Comments

Uncle Joe said…
Okay Uncle Joe! I'll join you!

Popular Posts