My Favorite Salad

Hello everyone! I'm sure you're dying to read my first culinary post, and I'm sure Emma keeps hoping I'll post SOMETHING. Well, here it is!

We like to go out to eat every once in a while--beats cooking, even if it is cumbersome and more expensive these days with two little ones. Our favorite spot is Red Robin--it's kid-friendly, has yummy food, and is one of the few places that the kids will actually eat. I first discovered this salad there, and have been looking to duplicate it at home. I think I've come close--this is really tasty and can seriously fill you up! I've tweaked it a bit to include more greens--the restaurant uses iceberg, which is low in calories but also low in nutritive greens.

Chicken Apple Walnut Salad (Serves 4 Dinner Portions)

1/2 bag romaine or iceberg salad mix
1/2 bag spinach greens
Two to three medium apples of your choice, cubed (I mix Honeycrisp and Granny Smith)
1 pound grilled chicken breasts (about 4) cut into cubes or strips
1/2 cup mild white cheese, crumbled ( I like low-fat feta or mild bleu cheese)
1 cup candied walnut pieces
Dijon Honey Mustard dressing to taste--I like Brianna's the best (there's an avocado on the bottle)

Mix the greens together, adding the candied walnuts and the apples as you mix. Once it is evenly tossed, add dijon mustard dressing to taste; about 1 cup for the salad. Mix until evenly distributed. Crumble cheese on top and add chicken, Serves 4 as a dinner salad, six as a side salad. To store for up to two days in an airtight container, leave dressing in the side.

Serving suggestions:
  • Add your own touches--boiled egg slices, avocado slices, or grape tomatoes are tasty, as well as broccoli florets
  • Serve chicken warm off the grill (I use my Foreman); it makes the cheese softer and brings out the flavor better
  • Season chicken with lemon before grilling for a citrus note
  • Comments

    brooke said…
    That sounds delicious. I'd have to make it without the apples though, because I'm allergic. I'd probably put strawberries in there instead.
    Suzy-Q said…
    This sounds very yummy! I love chicken salad with lots of fruit and nuts. Have you tried it with white grapes? Ina Garten says it is Chicken Veronique when it has grapes. :o)

    MMMMMMM

    I want some for lunch soon. I wonder if Uncle Joe will make some and deliver it to me?
    loveyh said…
    Seven--that sux that you're allergic to apples, but I bet it would be divine with berries! I'll definitely give it a whirl!

    aunt jo--oooh, grapes, too? Another delish variation!
    Jenn said…
    Lovey,

    I just tried this and it's SO good.

    Popular Posts