Irish Soda Bread

Irish soda bread has several variations. This is just one that I've loved, but if you can't stand the raisins or the caraway seeds, just leave them out.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup butter, melted
2 cups Buttermilk*
1 C. Raisins (optional)

*substitute for buttermilk is one cup of milk with a tablespoon of white vinegar. Allow to sit for a few minutes and use as directed.

Preheat oven to 325°. (that's 165 C for those across the pond)

Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. For those who don't like to do this, it's recommended to prevent clumps of ingredients like, baking soda or flour to end up in the bread.

Add buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Make sure the melted butter is a bit cooled so it won't cook the raw egg.

Pour dough into a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake for approximately 65-70 minutes. Cool on rack, serve warm.

It doesn't last long at my house, but for those who want to make leftovers, this bread dries out quickly. Serve fresh from the oven or wrap tightly in foil.

Comments

Suzy-Q said…
have you been reading Family Fun??
Jenn said…
No, are they the same?

I got this from a 71 year old friend who makes incredible breads.

My friend's olive bread, I've been dying to get my hands on the recipe that's been handed down for at least four generations of Italians. I think she's going to will it to me. It's to die for. :)
Suzy-Q said…
I looked in my magazine and the one in there is a little different. I'll have to compare them.

THis looks very tasty!

Popular Posts